Cavern opened in Liverpool, England on January 16, 1957, and is the club
is where Brian Epstein first saw The Beatles performing in 1961.
What started as a jazz club eventually became a hangout for skiffle groups.
Blues bands and Beat groups began to appear at the club on a regular basis
in the early 1960s.
In the decade that followed,
a wide variety of popular acts appeared at the club including The Rolling
Stones, The Yardbirds, The Kinks, Elton John, The Who and John Lee Hooker.
Future star Cilla Black worked as the hatcheck girl at The Cavern in her
pre-fame days. A recording studio, "Cavern Sound" opened in the basement
of an adjoining building, run by Nigel Greenberg and Peter Hepworth.
The club closed in March
1973, and was filled in during construction work on the Merseyrail underground
rail loop. It was knocked down in 1982 but more than 15,000 bricks
from the building were saved and used to rebuild the premises using the
same plans. The Cavern re-opened in 1984, occupying 75% of the original
site, and was re-built to resemble the original as closely as possible.
The Cavern only survived
until 1989, when it came under financial pressures and closed for 18 months.
In 1991, two friends - schoolteacher Bill Heckle and Liverpool cabbie Dave
Jones - reopened the club. They still run the club today and are
now the longest running owners in the club's history. Despite being
a world famous tourist spot, the club continues to function primarily as
a live music venue, although they do employ a DJ on a Friday and Saturday
night. The music policy varies from 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s classic
pop music to indie, rock and modern chart music.
In 1997, the club unveiled
a Wall of Fame on the front of the Cavern Pub, which is over the street
from the club itself. It has the names of the 1,801 bands that played
at the Cavern from 1957 to 1973 etched into individual bricks. And
The Crescendos name is on one of those bricks.